Friday, January 15, 2010

A New Wrinkle

Here's a copy of an email I sent to the County Administrator today:

Today, I am sorting out ag records in preparation for doing taxes.

I found a map from the Botetourt County Farm Service Agency, which requires annual reports on crop/acreage, etc.

It is an aerial map in color with the incorrect boundary from the "tax map" on your G.I.S. site overlaid! I must now prepare the corrections for them and go to the expense in time and postage or gasoline to drive there to supply a copy of the survey. I'll have to contact Mountain Castles Soil and Water, too.

I'm wondering how many other agencies and perhaps our insurance company and who knows who else I'll have to check to make sure that there are no negative repercussions to us. The fact that the G.I.S. Mapping is a ten year old project makes it even more maddening!

No one expects that G.I.S. maps supplied by the County will be so seriously flawed, so usually no one is questioning them or even looking closely.

The G.I.S. Mapping Project for Botetourt County is a train wreck! The numbers of county residents affected similarly is likely to be very high. The sad thing is that they probably do not even suspect it.

Mr. ---'s email from yesterday telling me that it won't be before April until our map is corrected is simply not acceptable. If it were corrected in a timely manner, I could just contact the agencies and tell them to access the corrected map!

No comments:

Post a Comment